Homepage a/b/c test

Opening the homepage of HomeExchange website for new users


On HomeExchange website, the homepage is closed. This means new users, when arriving on the page, can't look for home or browse the website. Users can click on sign up or login button, click on the links in the footer or links to other pages like "learn more". Other than that, their navigation on the website is limited.


  • New users that don't know the product can't look at homes and see if HomeExchange mitght be an option they would consider for their vacation plans. You can't see the content (homes and appartments to exchange) of the website on the homepage, although this is one of the most important factors for subscription. (see a great example with Netflix)
  • Users are not really engaged to subscribe (only 2 sign up buttons) and don't feel the benefit from it.
original homepage


  • Allow new users to browse for homes without doing a complete re-design of the homepage (not in the scope of the project), and by doing so, encourage them to signup.
  • Get more qulified members (users that complete 100% of their home infos fast and send messages to other members of the website to exchange).

This was another attempt after a failed a/b test for the open homepage. There was already a new version of the homepage launched earlier this year, with a big searchbar at the top of the page. However, after few weeks of analysis, we noticed that they weren't significant differences in terms of subscription between the 2 versions of the page. At this time, we set as a main KPI the number of houses created (number of subscribed users). As they were no significant change between the number of new users in the version A and version B, the project was not succesful.

Our proposal

We decided to learn from the failed a/b test and come up with another version, to run an a/b/c test. We also set more precise KPIs :

  • Number of homes completed 100%
  • Time between home listed and first message sent
  • Number of requests sent
  • Number of accounts created

We decided that opening the homepage wasn't going to significantly change the number of new users for HomeExchange, that's why we decided to add as KPI the the number of qualified user

Design process

Analysis our previous version of the new homepage :

  • When we add the search bar, we removed the most important call to action. By looking at the heatmap of the original closed homepage, we saw that the main CTA "Join the community" in the middle of the page was clicked twice as much clicked than the "Sign up" CTA in the header. This means that we reduced the chances of converting users by removing the CTA.
  • Users could search and browse homes freely and their experience was the same as a subscribded user. We should propose them a difference experience on the website, as their are not members of the community yet.
version 2

Version C

On version c, we decided to let the CTA where it was, but move the searchbar in the header. And to make it more obvious and to make it more noticeable, we replace the loop icon with a Search button. This way, we would keep the two CTAs and the searchbar, even if it was less visible.

version 3


On the search results page, we prevent users from using the filters to custimize their search. They also can't search with dates or number of guests. Instead, we display a message "Join the community of HomeExchange, signup to use the filters and find your dream holiday house!", with a sign up CTA, and a nice illustration.

search results

Listing page

The same behavior was used on the listing page. If a user clicks on a listing from the search results page, he won't be able to see the location of the house. Instead, we display a message "Join the community of HomeExchange, signup to see the location of the house and contact the member for an exchange !", with a sign up CTA. If he wants to contact the host, a pop-up asking him to sign up will appear, with the same illustration and the message "Signup to contact".


Loosing the house

In the user flow, we noticed that users that were looking at houses on the website and decided then to sign up might loose the home(s) their were looking at, and this would be a shame if they really wanted to contact the host. In order to prevent that, we added on the dashboard a new section of homes called "recently viewed". Users will be able to see the 8 most recently viewed homes after they complete their signup.



We worked on an illustration to encourage people so sign up. In our illustration guidelines, a family is always a go-to choice because our members can relate. We added movement, to illustrate the action of signing up and going on hollidays.


My role and team

I was involved in the decision making after analysing the previous a/b test. I designed the global flow and the 3 versions of the homepage.
Other team members : Product owner, front-end dev, illustrator.